Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Detox rox.

In the spirit of starting fresh, I've decided to do a mini-detox. Inspired by the fact that I've been steadily gaining weight since the wedding, and have been eating some really unhealthy crap lately in an attempt to drown my sorrows, I thought it would be a good way to kick off spring and to keep my mind off the fact that the budget is being presented to the Board of Ed this week. I think I hit rock bottom right before the detox began, in the form of a half-pint of Boston Cream Pie Ben and Jerry's. Oy.

So, Doug being out of town for the week, I began a pretty intense detox. No cayenne pepper-maple syrup-water business for me, but I am eliminating sugar, wheat, and dairy for 5 days. I'm two days in, and so far, it's not as terrible as I thought it might be, but it's also very distinctly not. fun.
I've been using the Clean detox as a sort of spring board, with some internet recipes mixed in. So far, I've discovered the following:
1. Frozen fruit + unsweetened almond milk or rice milk=amazing. Really yummy, which surprised me. I'm a fan of almond milk, but I've always bought the sweetened vanilla kind. It's amazing how simple and good the combo of the unsweetened non-dairy "milk" and fruit is. My favorite combo so far is raspberry and rice milk. Awesome.
2. Although the inspiration for my daily recipes was a pretty specific detox from GOOP (Gwyenth Paltrow's blog, she can be snarky but I like to live vicariously sometimes) I've found I could substitute quite a bit of what I had at home for some of the more expensive things I will never use again (hello, tub of miso paste? I don't think so.)
3. I have never peed so much in my life. Like, ever.
4. I epically failed at making a buckwheat crust. It tasted like dirt. The rest of this quiche was good though! (I'm not quite sure why they called this  quiche. It was the least quiche-y thing ever. Wishful thinking, maybe?)
Check it out:

Looks good, right? Let me tell you, the white bean garlic paste in this is crazy good. I would just eat that straight up. I modified a little, specifically in that I used chicken breasts, not ground chicken/no cranberries/coconut oil in place of shortening in the buckwheat crust (oh man, it was so yuck.)/and I bought the beets "pre-pickled" at Wegmans. Minus the crust, it was muy delish.

So, that's the plan for the next 3ish days. I've had a dull, continuous headache since Monday, but I'm not sure if that's because of the weather, or the crazed children at school, or because sugar/wheat/dairy is like my crack and I'm going through withdrawals.

Tomorrow, we have a union meeting, so I'm hoping I have some answers about next year. In the meantime, I'm off to drink herbal tea and try not to dream of grilled cheese and cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment