Saturday, April 30, 2011

Holy whirlwind, Batman!

Wow. The past two weeks have been n.u.t.s! What started as a whim as quickly evolved into a non-stop cake baking frenzy. On April 19th (I can't believe it's only been since then!) Sarah and I got together to play around with some cake pops. We baked, we crumbled, we mixed, we frosted, we dipped.


The first few were just....okay. We worked from 4-11pm, and made 110 pops. Talk about diving in headfirst!
So, I brought a few in to work, and my sweet, supportive co-workers immediately jumped on board. I had orders for Easter bunny pops due the following day:
Then came a birthday party for that Saturday:
We could barely catch our breath. Our life became consumed by cake...but it felt good. Over the next few days, we booked a wedding for Memorial Day, two baby showers in May, and made a three layer "farewell party" cake. We create a new round of samples...
...that looked and tasted a heck of a lot better than our first attempt...and started to think that maybe this is something we could really do. Last night, we got together and made cupcakes for a first communion, and talked business. We figured out how much each item was costing us...and what we need to try to find online to save on supplies. We talked about new options, testing out new recipes, trying our hand at bread and muffins and brittle and fudge and booking craft shows and dreaming big. 

In the meantime, between and during all of that, our basement flooded...

...twice. Which was awful. We have to call the insurance company next week because a LOT of things are ruined. I also had the health inspector approve our kitchen (but only for non-chocolate, non-dairy goods, which is a long story for another post...if we want to be truly legal we need a commercial kitchen), I stopped sleeping so I could cook and clean and fret... and I totally stopped paying attention to job applications...which I need to remedy, right away. I don't harbor any illusions that I'm going to not have to work ever again and can just bake my life away...although that would be a dream, because I love it so much.

So, that was my whirlwind two-ish weeks. Today, I'm trying to recover and become a human being again, instead of a walking zombie. Tomorrow will be dedicated to the very-important task of job applications...and maybe, thought I should really be taking a break from it, some baking. I just can't seem to stay away.

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome that you're doing that, Nikki! Isn't baking just wonderful? Even on days when I miss a steady income, I still don't miss being in an office. I am so much happier in a kitchen!

    Inspiring to see what you're up to! Rock on, ladyfriend! :)

    ReplyDelete