Monday, March 7, 2011

When it rains....

...it snows so much that we have a state of emergency.
...on the day we have an author scheduled to visit.
...and we have no more snow days, so we're going to school over spring break.

This is what I woke up to:


So, our poor visiting author is holed up in the Red Roof Inn. He drove up from Maryland, and is booked the remainder of the week at other schools. Thank God we had him booked for two days, so I can re-schedule everyone into a single day. I've been up since 5am calling people, creating new presentation schedules, sending e-mails, and trying to stop hyperventilating.
Maybe one of these will help:


Yum. Adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe, the last time I made these I substituted greek yogurt for almost all of the oil in the recipe (I put in about 2 tablespoons before I changed my mind), dropped the temperature to 350, and cooked until they were tall and gorgeous. They were less sweet, and very moist.

This time, I used melted butter in place of the oil, and added peanut butter chips. (Sidenote: one of my new "frugal" initiatives is to cook with what I have, instead of running out to the store whenever the fancy to make something strikes. Triple points for saving on gas, being resourceful, and learning more about baking in one fell swoop. I digress...)
These were not nearly as healthy, or gorgeous...more flat and crunchy, but very, very tasty. Double yum.

I'm thinking of trying other add-ins, like coconut, cranberries, pecans...maybe even frozen blueberries. The options are endless with chocolate...and it always makes you feel better, even when it seems to be the year when nothing goes right.

No comments:

Post a Comment